Thomas Cubitt and the building of PimlicoOne of the most notable pieces of public art in Pimlico is the impressive statue of Thomas Cubitt in Denbigh Street.
The statue, by William Fawke, was erected in 1995 to mark the life of the man who did more than anyone else to give Pimlico its well-planned street layout and attractive stucco buildings.
Like all great builders, Cubitt needed a rich patron.
His client was Viscount Belgrave aka Richard Grosvenor, who later became the 2nd Marquess of Westminster. The good lord commissioned Cubitt in 1824 to build the new districts of Pimlico and Belgravia.
Belgravia was intended to provide fashionable housing for the well-to-do. Right form the start, Pimlico was the poor relation of Belgravia, in part because Pimlico lacks dramatic architectural centerpieces like the magnificent Eaton Square.
Cubitt was helped by the work of the Grosvenor estate's architect Thomas Cundy (snr) (1765-1825) who sadly didn't live long enough to see how successful Pimlico became.
The building of Pimlico was on e of the last pieces of work undertaken by Thomas Cubitt before he withdrew from the family firm in 1827, leaving the details of running the business to his brother William.
Cubitt was famous in his day. A long line of rich and famous clients ensured that he had a stream of high profile commissions. You can see his work in Kemp Town in Brighton and instantly be reminded of Pimlico.
Elsewhere in London, notable Cubitt developments can be found in Bloomsbury and Highbury Park.